MIAMI – Together, the Miami Marlins and NIKE are committed to growing the game of baseball and softball in the South Florida community, with sports programs that provide game-changing access to the game and social and emotional learning opportunities the life. With this important commitment, NIKE joins the efforts of the Marlins to make local youth champions on and off the field! The 2022 lineup kicked off Thursday, March 24 with a spring training day for more than 160 Palm Beach County youth at the Marlins Player Development Complex in Jupiter (see photos attached).
This year, NIKE and the Marlins are partnering on the following Miami Marlins Foundation programs:
• Great Minds-Great Athletes program for the 2022-23 school year
— The mental wellness program, nominated for the third year, aims to provide student-athletes and their support group (coaches, staff and parents) with the skills necessary to improve the social and emotional needs of students. The program has expanded to 27 schools across Miami-Dade County Public Schools and provides a positive character-building experience focused on the social and emotional growth of young people.
— Marlins Rookies is a program that introduces baseball and softball to youth ages 6-12 through foundational lessons, while integrating social and emotional learning through Jackie Robinson’s Nine Values.
— The program will operate from General Jose Francisco Morazan Quesada Park in Little Havana and Gwen Cherry Park in Liberty City.
— The Marlins Jr. RBI Program is a free youth outreach initiative for children ages 5-12, creating an opportunity for kids to participate in baseball and encourages academic achievement while teaching the value of hard work. team.
– City of Fort Lauderdale Parks and Recreation, City of Miami Gardens Parks and Recreation, Centro Mater at Quesada Park (Little Havana) and Gwen Cherry Park (Liberty City), among others, will participate in the Marlins Jr. RBI program which teaches athletes the values that will help them become a champion on and off the pitch throughout the game. Overall, more than 200 young athletes compete in Marlins Jr. RBI. The season begins on April 6, with Billy The Marlins making special visits to Gwen Cherry Park on April 6 and Quesada Park on April 7 to celebrate opening day!
• Jackie Robinson High School Baseball Classic (NEW IN 2022)
– The Jackie Robinson High School Baseball Classic will be held at LoanDepot Park on April 18, with two Miami-Dade County high school teams (Northwestern and North Miami Beach High School) honoring Jackie Robinson’s legacy and capping the 75th anniversary celebration. anniversary of Jackie Robinson’s Marlins breaking the color barrier in MLB.
— Teams will receive personalized “#42” warm-up shirts with one of Jackie’s nine values on the back. The game will offer youngsters the unique experience of playing on a Major League field!
• Jackie Robinson Foundation Scholarship
— NIKE will join the Marlins in awarding a $20,000 scholarship through the Jackie Robinson Scholarship Program. The Miami Marlins have committed $420,000 to the Jackie Robinson Foundation in 2020 to establish an annual scholarship in perpetuity to an outstanding, deserving African-American student from South Florida who demonstrates Jackie Robinson’s nine values.
• Marlins Baseball and Softball Field Days
— This series serves as a positive platform to introduce baseball and softball to young people and inspire them to learn how to play. Each event will include instructional stations that teach kids the fundamentals of fielding, basic hitting and running, as well as character development. Events will take place in Miami and Jupiter.
• Marlins RBI All-Stars
– RBI Baseball Seniors (18U), Baseball Juniors (15U) and Softball (18U) will be outfitted in Marlins jerseys and will receive free room and board, travel and meals throughout the MLB RBI Regional Tournament in Tampa.
• Baseball Equipment Packs
— The Marlins and NIKE will support the local community by providing the resources necessary for young people to get active. The Miami Marlins Foundation will provide select South Florida high school baseball teams with a home game pack to promote fitness, aid practice, and improve their baseball and softball skills. Play Pack contents include baseball, softball, field glove, bag and shirt.
• Coach and Player Development Series Workshops
— The Development Series is a program for our young participants and coaches to provide opportunities for development and professional growth off the field. The series consists of various workshops at LoanDepot Park that highlight important topics ranging from effective training methods to the health and mental well-being of young athletes. Each event in the series is designed to enhance learning experiences in the game and provide correlations between sports and life lessons.
– NIKE will join the Miami Marlins Foundation in spotlighting a Youth Gamechanger during the annual Marlins Impact Week presented by UKG. The local student will have a full VIP experience at a Marlins game with surprises and a special giveaway.
For more information on the Miami Marlins Foundation, please visit MarlinsImpact.org.